TMS for Teen Depression
TMS has proved to be 2-3 times more effective in resolving Teen Depression than anti-depressant medications and/or talk therapy.
Teen depression is a serious mental health condition with many of the same symptoms of Major Depression (see our Major Depression page), however there are symptomatic differences between teens and adults. Teen Depression negatively affects how teenagers think, feel, and behave. It often results in emotional, functional and physical problems. Our San Diego Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Center provides TMS Therapy for Teen Depression.
Concerns such as peer pressure, high academic expectations, romantic relationships and puberty, create significant mood swings for teenagers. For many teens, the low feelings are more than just temporary ‘low moods’, rather they are a symptom of Teen Depression.
Teen Depression is not a manifestation of weakness, or lack of willpower, or any other controllable condition. Untreated, Teen Depression can result in suicide. It requires effective treatment to overcome.
Teen depression signs and symptoms can vary in severity, but changes in the teen’s emotions and behavior may include the following:
- Feelings of sadness, which can include crying spells for no apparent reason
- Frustration or feelings of anger, even over insignificant matters
- Feelings of hopeless
- Irritable or annoyed mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in previously desirable activities
- Conflicts or loss of interest in family and friends
- Low self-esteem
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Fixation on past failures, or exaggerated self-blame or self-criticism
- Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure, and the need for excessive reassurance
- Trouble thinking, concentrating, making decisions and remembering things
- Grim or bleak sense of the future
- Frequent thoughts of death, dying, or suicide
- Fatigue, tiredness, and loss of energy
- Either Insomnia, or over sleeping
- Changes in appetite — decreased appetite and weight loss, or increased cravings and weight gain
- Use of alcohol or drugs
- Agitation or restlessness (pacing, hand-wringing or an inability to sit still)
- Slowed thinking, slowed speaking, or slow body movements
- Frequent complaints of unexplained body aches and headaches, which may include frequent visits to the school nurse
- Social isolation
- Poor school performance or frequent absences from school
- Less attention to personal hygiene or appearance
- Angry outbursts, disruptive or risky behavior, or other acting-out behaviors
- Self-harm (cutting, burning, or excessive piercing or tattooing)
- Making a suicide plan or a suicide attempt
What is normal teenage behavior can be challenging to discern from Teen Depression.
If the signs and symptoms of Teen Depression interfere with your teen’s life, or cause you to have concerns about your teen’s potential for self harm, treatment must be obtained.
Teen Depression symptoms will not resolve without treatment. Indeed, in most cases, untreated symptoms intensify and lead to even worse issues – Depressed teenagers may be at risk of suicide, even if signs and symptoms don’t appear to be severe.
Antidepressants for treating Teen Depression are often entirely ineffective, and they have debilitating side effects.
TMS is break-through technology that provides tremendous relief and often full resolution of Teen Depresssion, without medication.
TMS benefits include:
- High Success Rate – considerably higher success rate than any other treatments
- Non-Invasive – the treatment is entirely external to the body
- Non-Sedative – it requires no sedation and is relatively painless
- Minimal to No Side Effects – it has no side effects in the vast majority of patients
If you’d like to learn more about our the treatment process, please visit our TMS Procedure page.
Call or Email us to schedule a free consultation:
Scholarly Research and Publications
The Emerging Role for rTMS in Optimizing the Treatment of Adolescent Depression
Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in Youth With Treatment Resistant Major Depression
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Adolescent Depression (TMSAD)
Understanding depression triggers within yourself can help with finding solutions to treat your depression. Brain Therapy offers TMS to help with depression.
What is High-Functioning Depression?
High-functioning depression, also called Persistent Depressive Disorder, is a common mental health disorder that can lead to mild or severe impairment.
Does Anxiety & Depression Cause Brain Fog?
Brain fog can be caused by a variety of mental health disorders and medical conditions. Learn how to treat these symptoms to improve daily functioning.
SAN DIEGO LOCATION
1321 Garnet Ave.
San Diego, CA 92109